The Southwestern New Mexico Audubon Society serves communities in four counties;
Silver City, Deming, Lordsburg, Glenwood, Cliff, Reserve, the Mimbres Valley, and the Gila National Forest.
Support SWNMAS at Give Grandly
Give Grandly, the annual Grant County fundraising event for local nonprofits, is coming. We are extremely grateful to those who made donations to us last year and hope you will support us again this year. Visit our Give Grandly table May 11, 8:30am – 2:30 pm, at 8th and Bullard Streets.
That day is also the opening day of the Silver City Farmers’ Market. Come visit with us and over 50 other nonprofits to learn about the great work going on in this community.
Can’t make it downtown that day? Please make donations at GiveGrandly.civicore.com/SWNMA
Choose Your Birding "Big Day"
To celebrate Global Big Day and the return of migratory birds to their breeding grounds, take part in SWNMA’s Big Day! Same principles as a Big Day, individuals and teams bird + count as many bird species as they can. An informal event, choose your preferred 24-hour period anytime within May 1 and May 11. Results and interesting sightings will be shared at the Gila Native Plant Society/SWNMA Audubon potluck on May 12. The rules are simple:
- Bird only within Grant County.
- Cannot go on private property unless it is a friend’s and permission is granted. For example, the ranches in the Gila are off limits as is the Glenn Ranch off of Ridge Road. You can look from the edges but do not access the properties.
- The Silver City Golf Course is off limits, for potential of many groups/individuals asking for access. Birding from outside along edges, looking in, is permitted.
- Send your final species #, whether birding as a team or individual, and any interesting/fun sightings or stories to Megan: email@example.com
- If participating in Global Big Day on May 4, please join the thousands of birders submitting their sightings on eBird: https://ebird.org/news/global-big-day-4-may-2019
Board of Directors Time!
Annual Meeting/Potluck is September 6, with election of officers, at Little Walnut Pavilion. Every other year SWNM Audubon elects new officers to the Board of Directors at the annual meeting/picnic in September, and 2019 is our election year. Elected positions are President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer and two Directors-at-Large.
You can also help by becoming a member or chair of a chapter committee: Membership, Programs, Conservation, Field trips, Publications, or Education. If you are interested in volunteering to help your chapter, the time commitment is relatively small. The board meets from 3:30 – 5:00 the first Wednesday of the month in the conference room at First Savings Bank, 13th Street / Hudson. Interested? Please feel free to attend our board meetings or contact Terry Timme at firstname.lastname@example.org or Elroy Limmer at 575-538-5513.